Lead Based Paint Information

Protect your family from Lead Based Paint in your home.

Lead is a highly toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children. When lead is absorbed into the body, it can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs, like the kidneys, nerves and blood.

Lead may also cause behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures and in extreme cases, death. Some symptoms of lead poisoning may include headaches, stomachaches, nausea, tiredness and irritability. Children who are lead poisoned may show no symptoms.

Both inside and outside the home, deteriorated lead-paint mixes with household dust and soil and becomes tracked in. Children may become lead poisoned by:

  • Putting their hands or other lead-contaminated objects into their mouths,
  • Eating paint chips found in homes with peeling or flaking lead-based paint, or
  • Playing in lead-contaminated soil

Take a moment to look at the brochure “Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home” for additional information on this subject.  If your home was built before 1978, there is likely a presence of lead based paint in your home.

The following booklet was created by the environmental protection agency, and is available for download below.

https://www.bcaar.com/download/710/

Comments are closed.